Discovery is done to determine if a proposed project will become a funded project. Discovery is used to identify what the problem is (root cause), define customer needs (requirements), and determine the best solution. The project team defines initial scope and estimates costs/resources required.
Using the Methodology for this phase will help determine if the requested work is a project, and if so, what should be included. Project scope is very import to define early to ensure all parties agree on what should be delivered as the final product.
- Identify/Engage Sponsor and Key Stakeholders
- Project Definition
- Gather Customer Requirements
- Determine Resource Requirements
- Develop High-Level Milestone Plan
- Estimate Project Cost
- Slot in Portfolio Plan
- Initial Technical Architecture Committee (TAC) Checkpoint
Click on the following link to see less common Process Steps for this phase.